Friday, October 8, 2010

Time Square Can't Shine As Bright As You.

Alright, listen to this.
When I was a kid we used to live in Heath, Ohio.
Both my parents worked kinda long hours, from what I remember so we had a baby sitter.
Her name was Miss Noelle.
One night Miss Noelle had cooked us up Spaghetti Squash for dinner.
My brother and sister has gulped theirs down and were begging for seconds and thirds.
I could even get past a few bites.
This ugly pile of yellow mush stared back at me, taunting me.
I remember I would take a bite then take a huge swig of milk to dilute the taste of the squash.
Eventually I ran out of milk, so when I asked for more milk Mr. Chris, Miss Noelle's strict husband, said I couldn't until I ate more of my food.
I don't know why I didn't like it.
Looking back on it, it makes me laugh.
I hope I didn't hurt Miss Noelle's feelings.
I was only five at the time, younger most likely.

So anyway, I bring this up because of Product Knowledge today.
We were learning about tomatoes, peppers, and squash.
And of course, which type of squash does she have us try?
You got it, spaghetti squash.
It's not required to taste all the food, if you don't want to.
And I almost let the squash past me by.
But in that split second, I heard my mother's voice in my head:
"Oh Ally, just try it. Your taste buds have changed by now."

So I tried it.
It was delicious.
I don't know why I didn't like it back then, but I like it now.


I have a cold.
I have been viciously denying this fact because I don't want to use it as some excuse to not go to class.
So don't worry, I have been making myself go to every class.
I went to the Nurse's office yesterday for some cough drops.
They gave me some cough medicine and 5 cough drops.
What the hell am I supposed to do with 5 cough drops?
Do they think I'm gonna O.D. on cough drops if they give me more then five?
It makes me not want to use them, so I'm practically treating them like gold.
And to top it all off, my neighbors have been blasting music for the past four hours.
Though I do approve of the play list right now:
John Lennon - Let it be. (happy birthday shout out, btw)
The Fray - How to save a life.
Guns & Roses - Sweet child 'o' mine.
Marshall Tucker Band - Can't you see?
Jack Johnson - If I had eyes.
Kanye West - Gold Digger
Kings of Leon - Use somebody
etc.
This is kind of a stretch for these guys considering its house music that they are usually pumping through their speakers.
Oh well.
No dinner for me tonight from K-16 or any production kitchen.
I don't have the energy to make myself get out of bed and bother.
It's a little upsetting.

We have a three day weekend now.
I was tempted to ask my dad if I could come home.
But I didn't.
I don't know why, I guess with being sick, I just didn't want to deal with the hassle.
I miss my dad.
I miss my sister.
I miss my dog.
I miss sleeping in my own bed and not having to question who was the previous owner of it.
And of course I miss my mother who is in Vancouver and my brother who is in Troy, NY attending RPI.
But the thing is, me missing them right now isn't as bad as it has been in the past.
I think it's because I'm sick, and home has always had the comforting quality to it, so that's why I'm thinking of them.

Sitting alone in my dorm, sick, listening to my neighbors blast music isn't so bad.
But I would like a hug.
Hugs always seem to make things better for me.
That.. or Creme Brulee.
Or both!
Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment