Monday, May 16, 2011

The Power To Be Strong.

So today was my last and final day of training.
It was long, tiring, and my feet hurt.
But very rewarding.
Even when my feet were hurting and all I wanted was to sit down for five minutes, I still felt so happy to see an order ticket that I needed to complete.
Hopefully once I truly get into the swing of things, I won't loose that happiness too much.

My biggest worry (which honestly is starting to become a normal occurance for me) is being unprepared.
Depending on which station I am assigned to (grill, saute, middle/fry, pantry) there are many things that I need to gather for my self and prep work that needs to be done for myself and other stations that I contribute to, that I'm afraid that I will forget to do some of the work or won't have enough time before service.
I know that people at work are going to help me if I ask, but I still want to be able to be organized by myself without someone holding my hand.
And that's what training has felt like a bit.
Not that I didn't love and appreciate how helpful and wonderful everyone was, it's just that for the past five days I've felt a bit useless right at the beginning when set up is happening because my trainers have always been getting the stuff we need.

Reading that back to myself, I can see how what I just wrote probably doesn't make complete sense to you.
So my basic point is that I don't want to feel useless or in over-my-head, which is what I've been feeling like for the past five days.
I mean, everyone has been saying that I've been doing a good job and stuff.
But it's not just me doing it all.
Yes there are times when it is just me filling the order and cooking it myself, but I haven't had to completely rely on myself in having to get more product from the downstairs kitchen because my trainers have always been free to do it.
So it's almost like I've been having two invisible hands helping me out the entire time, and come Wednesday they will be gone.

So for now, I worry just a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment