Sunday, February 26, 2012

Live The Dash

Last night I work a big event the school was hosting for the Roosevelt Fire Department.
They are the department that comes to our school when the fire alarms go off.
So instead of having to pay large sums whenever that happens, the school throws a huge banquet and party for them.
It was really cool to see Farq Hall transformed for the event.
One of the older gentlemen at one of my tables gave me some of the best advice I've heard in a while:
He pointed to his wife and said that he married her when she was seventeen years old, which had been over 52 years ago. But he said that he understood why kids these days waited until they were 25 to 30 to marry. He said the most important thing we needed to do, was to live "the dash". He explained that on your tombstone, there is the date you were born and the date that you pass away. In between, is the dash and that you should live that part because it is the most important part.

This made me happy and I just wanted to share this story with you.
Its amazing the how you can meet the most wonderful people in the strangest of places.


And Jesus said to them, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

No comments:

Post a Comment