Monday, January 31, 2011

Ki Ngombo

I made Alligator & Andouille Gumbo in class today for Southern Cooking day.
Did you know that the word "Gumbo" is derived from the word "Ki Ngombo" which means Okra?
It is from the language of the West African Bantu tribe.

It came out great, though I did start a tad bit behind schedule and ended up not being able to put up a demo cup for it.
I imagine Chef took off some serious points for that.
But he said my gumbo was very pretty and tasted good, so I guess that counts for something right?

It was all Southern food.
Ranging from Creole and Cajun to Dixie Southern.
And the only thing I could think about when I was in class and at dinner today was my Dad.
I wanted him to be hovering over my shoulder so I could share my recipes with him.
Because out of everyone I practically know, (except for probably Mom & Aunt Cydney) Dad would appreciate it the most.
But it will still be a while until I will be able to show him.
I miss them.
And I miss my dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment